To find out how your health insurance plan can help you quit smoking, call the customer service number on the back of your health insurance member card.
When you call, here are some questions to ask:
Which stop smoking medications are covered by my health plan?
- Are over-the-counter medicines, like the nicotine patch, gum, and lozenges covered?
- Is there a limit to the amount of medicine that is covered?
- What is the co-pay?
Is counseling (support) to quit smoking covered by my insurance plan?
If the answer is yes, some additional questions to ask are:
- Is group counseling covered?
- Is one-on-one, in-person counseling covered?
- Are local quit-smoking services available?
- Is there a limit to the amount of counseling that is covered?
- Is there a co-pay or reimbursement for services used?
- Are other types of support covered (for example, hypnotherapy or acupuncture)?