Corinne "Ask others how they quit and learn from their experience."
Steve "I went to a cessation class. Peer group support was my success."
Mary "The cigarettes aren’t controlling me anymore. "
Ronaldo "Don’t wait until it’s too late to quit."
Hillary "Quitting smoking is the best thing I did for myself."
Alex "Since I quit, everything is better."
Bobbie "Focus on the positive; take it a day or even a minute at a time."
Clare "My friends support made all the difference."
Mike "Smoking had a big effect on my son. I didn't want to disappoint him."
Questions to ask your health plan
To find out how your health insurance plan can help you quit smoking, call the customer service number on the back of your health insurance member card.
When you call, here are some questions to ask:
- Is stop-smoking medicine covered by my insurance plan? If the answer is yes, some follow-up questions to ask are:
- If so, are prescriptions covered?
- If so, are over-the-counter medicines, like the nicotine patch, covered?
- Is there a limit to the amount of medicine that is covered?
- What is the co-pay?
- Is counseling (support) to quit smoking covered by my insurance plan? If the answer is yes, some additional questions to ask are:
- Is group counseling covered?
- Is one-on-one, in-person counseling covered?
- Are local quit-smoking services available?
- Is there a limit to the amount of counseling that is covered?
- Is there a co-pay or reimbursement for services used?
- Are other types of support covered (for example, hypnotherapy or acupuncture)?